Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Canon EOS 60D Reviewer Programe

Note: All images with the EOS 60D watermark were shot by the 60D with no colour, sharpness and brightness alteration. All rights reserved.

My heart nearly stopped beating that morning I have received an email from Canon Malaysia. I have been selected as a reviewer for Canon DSLR's latest addition, the Canon EOS 60D.

I have been itching for an upgrade. My 400D has been with me for about 3 years now and I was scouting for a good upgrade.

Recently, under the influence of some of my videographer friends, I fell in love with videography. In addition to that, I also saw the potential and the quality
of DSLR film making. Absolutely astounding.

The 5Dmk2 posses as a perfect upgrade for me. It does video, it's full-frame and all that but I simply could not afford any L lenses for the time being. Then there's the 7D but it was still a little too pricey for me and it does not have a swivel vari-angel LCD like Panasonic's GH-1. I wasn't willing to let go my Canon fan-girlism. So when I saw the 60D, it was like an answered prayer!

So on the 19th of September, I literally skipped happily to church in the morning and went for the briefing later in the afternoon. If there was a Happy-O-Meter, I was probably beaming at 100%.

Each reviewer were given a unit to test and review. There were several kits, namely the EF-S 18-55mm IS kit, EF-S 18-135mm IS kit and the EF-S 18-200mm kit. I got the EF-S 18-200mm kit and was pretty excited about it as having a wide-telephoto lens seemed like a great deal for me due to my occasional work in the mission field where I'm supposed to pack light.


After we have received our units, a briefing on the functions of the 60D was given by Xavier Chang.

Soon after we get to take the 60D for a spin. Canon Malaysia has hired 2 models for an outdoor model shoot.


I did not use the kit lens to shoot this. It was my el-cheapo 50mm f1.8 that does the job for this shot and the following shots.




It was a pleasure and PRESSURE to shoot with so many other pros. They started to take out their huge L lenses. I notice just how serious they are with photography.


Yen was the marketing person for Canon and was one of the conductors of the meeting on Sunday. Well done!



I decided to play with the Creative Filters option that is new to the 60D. The shot above is the original image.


Voila! The image with the miniature effect applied. I like how the colour gets a contrast adjustment and blurs, but I have yet to bring this effect to it's full potential. I'll show you later. :)

Then it started to rain so we went indoors to continue shooting. At one point the guys decided switch of the lights and use a video light on the model.



I like how the 60D manage to focus in low light! If compared with my 400D, which will probably take centuries to focus under low light, the 60D worked like magic! The flare there was due to the fact that I used a 50mm f1.8 for that shot.

More of the 60D later. I can't wait to bring it out for more shoots!

No comments:

Post a Comment